A Time of Sadness
At some point in
our lives we take life for granted, but unfortunately we don’t realize it until
we are faced with a difficult situation. I was studying for a Communications
test when I got a phone call. My cousin was in an accident and he was placed on
a respiratory machine in Intensive Care at the hospital. I quickly got dressed
and headed out the door. When I first arrived the family was in complete
disarray, the emotions were expressed with extreme sadness, and the tears were
flowing from everyone’s eyes. I was not
aware of the severity of the accident until I saw my family’s reaction and the
words from the Doctors mouth telling us, “The outcome doesn’t look promising. All
we can do is wait to see if he shows any signs of improvement”. This incident
has left my family heartbroken along with unanswered questions. The ambulance
picked Zach up around 6 a.m. They found him lying in an apartment complex in
the middle of the street; it was about 25 miles away from his house. The last time anyone spoke to Zach was around
9:00 pm the previous evening. We had no
idea how he made it to the hospital or how he obtained his injuries. A
detective has been at the hospital trying to gather any information to help
reveal what could have happened. The next day after Zach was admitted; the police
discovered evidence that would hopefully disclose what really happened. After the detective continued his investigation
things were finally starting to come together. It was revealed that Zach
attended a party in the apartment complex. Apparently there was a verbal
altercation between Zach and another individual. Shortly after, Zach left the
party. Somewhere between leaving the party and walking to his car he was
assaulted. He was struck from behind by an individual who caused him to fall to
the ground. After the assaulter struck him he proceeded to punch Zach in the
face. The assaulter left him in the road of the apartment complex. We are
unaware of the exact time the incident happened. Witnesses say they heard the
altercation, but were not able to see it considering it was dark outside. Even
at that point, no one called the police. Zach was left helpless in the road and
all alone. He was knocked out unconscious along with a severe head injury. At some point after he was abandoned, a taxi
cab driver struck something in the road. The taxi driver thought she hit an animal;
it wasn’t until she got out of her cab that she realized she ran over Zach. She immediately called the police and this is
how Zach finally made it to the emergency room. If it was not for the taxi cab
driver he could have been left there all night with no chance of survival. It
has been 4 days and Zach still remains in intensive care. He is not showing any signs of improvement and
the family is trying to stay strong and positive. During Zach’s surgery, the
doctors removed part of his brain along with his skull due to the severe
swelling. The doctors say the outlook is bleak, but my family is continuously praying
for a miracle. This is the first time that I have witnessed or experienced such
a traumatic incident. My family’s emotions are equivalent to that of a
rollercoaster, they go up and right back down. We have moments when we manage
to find laughter and times when the tears fall like rain. My family and I are
confident that the detective will be able to apprehend the assaulter. He has
assured us that he has a few leads and suspects. I am asking anyone who reads
this to please pray for my cousin Zach Gamble. He has a 7 year old son and a
family who loves him unconditionally. We need all the prayer and support we can
get. My family and I are continuously praying for a full recovery of an
innocent individual. I hope the assaulter pays for the crime that he has
committed and the heartache he has caused our family. I guess I will never be
able to understand individuals and their actions. How does an individual commit
such a horrific act of violence?!?!
No comments:
Post a Comment